TRANSPORTATION in Siena
If you arrive to Florence by airplane, you land at Amerigo Vespucci Airport, that is not properly in the center. There are several services (public and private) that link Siena to Florence's Airport.
For all information about the airport and the transfer services, please find it here:
- Airport in Florence | Florence airport transfer
- Airport in Pisa | Pisa airport transfer
- Airport in Bologna
- Airport in Perugia
Siena's airport is situated in the Rosia Valley that contains in the underground the main Luco's groundwater table, that provides water to Siena and districts. The airport was born in 1930 as a military airport and it is responsible for general aviation and commercial aero taxi traffic through Citation, Falcon, etc. aircrafts. This is located 9 km from Siena.
Florence train station (S.M.N)
Santa Maria Novella, Florence's central train station, was planned by Enrico Presenti and it was inaugurated in 1848 with the name of Maria Antonia: with the end of Grand Duchy in 1930, name was changed in Santa Maria Novella. The station was enlarged in 1932 by Gruppo Toscano, that are winner of a contest which was born to improve the station. In 80-90 an underground parking, a trading centre and a terminus were added to the station.
Siena train station
Siena's station is situated in via Carlo Rosselli. It provides links between Siena to Empoli, Florence, Chiusi, Grosseto, Orbtello, Campiglia M., etc. It was inaugurated in 1935, after a variety of polemics and projects, and restaurated between 1946-1947 after the 2nd World War in which it was hardly bombarded.The train station in Siena is located approximately 2 km from Siena's historical centre. It's a five minute bus ride from the city center to the train station and buses leave regularly from Piazza del Sale. Look for buses n.s 3, 8, 10, 17, 77 that leave from the station to Piazza del Sale and bus n. 17 departs from Piazza del Sale for the train station.
Departures, Arrives, Time tables, location, useful informations:
TRENITALIAN - TIMETABLES
Website - More info: http://www.trenitalia.com/
FS, National Railway Company
Departures, Arrives, Time tables, station location, useful informations.
Those arriving from the north can take the Chiantigiana from Florence (SS 222 - 72 km) that crosses the hills of Chianti or the highway (SS 2 superstrada Siena/Firenze - 68 km). For those arriving from the south, Siena can be reached by taking the Autoway from Rome (A1 Roma-Firenze, exit Valdichiana), turning right on state highway n.326 (Bettolle-Siena - 240 km).
National Highways Company
Station location and all useful informations about the Italian highways.
Website - More info: http://www.autostrade.it/en/home
GETTING TO THE HISTORICAL CENTER...
The historical center is accessible only by foot. Cars are strictly prohibited. There is a small bus (Pollicino) run by the TIEMME company that covers some streets located into the center of town. Outside the main city walls in the main tourist areas, you can find various parking areas.
We provides a list of the main parkings in Siena:
- Autormessa Busi(Viale Curtanone 16);
- Parcheggio Il Campo(Via Fontanella 11);
- Parcheggio il Duomo (Via Garibaldi 1);
- Parcheggio La Stazione(Piazzale Fratelli Rosselli);
- Parcheggio Policlinico 1 e 2(Via delle Scotte Area Policlinico);
- Parcheggio San Francesco(Via Baldassarre Petruzzi);
- Parcheggio Santa Caterina (Via Esterna di Fontebranda);
- Parcheggio Stadio Fortezza (La Lizza);
- Parcheggio Via Pescaia (Via Pescaia);
- Strada di Pescaia.
There are direct connections with a variety of cities north and south of Siena. The most frequent connections are:
- Florence: rapid connection (it takes about 1h 15 min) or direct connection via Poggibonsi, Colle Val d'Elsa (it takes about 1h 35 min). Departures from the bus station located in front of Santa Maria Novella train station, the main train station in Florence. For more information look for TIEMME (tel. 0577 204111), SITA (toll free number 800 - 373760).
- Rome: direct connection (it takes about 2h 45 min). Departure from Tiburtina Station in Rome. For more information look for SENA (toll free number 800 - 930960, tel. 0577/283203).
Website - More info: http://www.tiemmespa.it/
Website - More info: http://www.fsbusitalia.it/
Website - More info: http://www.sena.it/
TIEMME is the only company that manages bus transportation in Siena. Generally, from the center of the city, and from all around the train station, you can reach all the city. You can easly find the fares on their website, in addition to the time schedules and the city's bus map.
The ticket offices are:
- In the pedestrian underpass at La Lizza square. Opening hours: every day from 5.50 am to 8 pm;
- At the train station. Opening hours: Monday through Saturday: 5.50 am to 8 pm, Sundays and holidays from 7.20 am to 1 pm and from 3.40 pm to 8 pm.
- Single tickets and also cheaper 10 ride tickets are available also at the "Tabacchi-bars" (distinguished by a rectangular white and blue T-sign), at many "giornalai" (newspaper stands) and also in shops, identifiable by the Tra.in logo in the shopfront. Tickets are only valid if you have them validated by the small orange machines located in the bus.
Website - More info: http://www.tiemmespa.it/
In the site, you can easily find time schedules, fares and the Lazzi guided tours around Tuscany.
The company called "FS BUSITALIA" offers direct bus connections to Florence, to many other cities in the area and, during the summer, to the beach resorts of Follonica and Castiglione della Pescaia.
In Siena the taxi can be called from different taxi stands in several points in the city, almost in the center: Siena Train Station (near the Postal Office), Piazza Matteotti (in front of the Central Postal Office), Piazza Indipendenza (near the Bus Station), and Piazza Amendola (at the corner of gardens /Banca Toscana).
You can call a taxi by dialing the following phone number: 0577 49222. The operator will confirm your booking and give you the name and number of the taxi (i.e."Monaco 80") and the waiting time. Fares are displayed on the meters and there are extra charges for night service, Sundays and public holidays, luggage and journeys outside of town.
The taxi service is helded by two different mayor company: COTAS and TUSCANY BY TAXI so the fees can change a little bit, you really should read carefully the information about fare shown inside the taxi. Here are the COTAS taxi fares for destinations inside the city of Siena.